Divorce comes with a lot of change, and it can be very difficult to get your bearings when nothing seems to make sense. One of the hardest things to do after an Arizona divorce is survive the holidays. As Phoenix divorce lawyers, we know how it is. The smell of turkey or the jingle of bells probably makes your stomach turn, and you want so badly to just skip the holidays this year. We can't make it easier for you, but we can suggest a few ways to cope:
- Do something nice for yourself. Grab your favorite novel, go for a hike, or just take a hot bath, and relax. Spending a little time being good to yourself helps reduce stress, and it will ultimately help you cope.
- Do something nice for someone else. Plan to volunteer at a soup kitchen, visit nursing home residents, or do something nice for a friend. The warm feeling you get from making the world a better place will stick with you - and isn't that what the holidays are all about?
- Create new traditions. Divorce is ultimately about change and transition. Try to look at it as an opportunity to get creative and create new traditions. Plant a tree, make your own ornaments, try a new recipe, etc.
- Figure out visitation ahead of time. If there are children involved in your Scottsdale divorce, make sure you keep organized and figure out the parenting plan well ahead of time. Knowing exactly what to expect can make it easier for everyone involved and save a lot of hurt feelings.
- Don't be afraid to invite yourself. Most people are happy to have an extra person join holiday celebrations, but they aren't sure how to ask you to come. Mention that you don't have plans, and ask if it would be okay to join your friend or family member to celebrate.
If you have any questions about divorce, custody, or parenting time in Scottsdale, speak with one of our experienced Arizona family law attorneys today at 1-888-929-5292.