If you've been sentenced for a drug offense in Tempe, you may have the option to complete an Arizona Drug Court Program. The Drug Court Program is a probation program offered to some drug offenders, and it focuses on education, treatment, and keeping you drug-free. You will work with your Arizona criminal defense attorney, treatment counselor, the judge, and others to develop a behavior contract and stick to it. Generally, you will be issued a new contract with each court hearing during the period, and you will need to complete each contract successfully. The program could be a good option for you after an Arizona drug offense, and you should speak with your Tempe criminal lawyer if you have questions about your specific situation.
What Are the Benefits of the Maricopa County Drug Court Program?
Beyond the education, support, and treatment you receive, there are several other benefits to the program, including:
- Saving money. As a drug offender in Arizona, you are required to pay for any mandatory treatment programs ordered by the court. With the Drug Court Program, the court will waive your fines and will pay for your urine drug testing.
- Shorter probation period. If you successfully stick to your behavior contract and complete the Drug Court Program, then you could see a reduction in your probation period.
- Felony to misdemeanor offense. If you successfully complete all contracts in the Drug Court Program, there is a chance that your felony drug conviction could be reduced to a misdemeanor. This means that you will no longer have to worry about the impact that felony conviction could have on your future opportunities.
Who Qualifies for the Adult Probation Drug Court Program?
Generally, you can qualify for the Drug Court Program if:
- You were found guilty of use or possession, and no other charges were involved.
- You do not have a history of violent offenses or behavior.
- You are not on methadone treatment.
- You did not use a "dangerous weapon."
- You do not have more than one felony on your record.
If you have been convicted of a drug offense in Arizona and have questions about the Maricopa County Drug Court Program, then it would be a good idea to talk with a qualified Tempe criminal lawyer about your specific situation and how to proceed. Give us a call today at 1-888-929-5292 for a FREE legal consultation, and take a moment to request our FREE book, Arizona Criminal Law – What You Must Know.