What happens if child support payments are not made on time by my ex-spouse? Are there any penalties in Arizona for delinquent payments?

There are certain actions that can be taken if child support payments are not made on time.

Once the court has ordered that child support be paid, the payments must be made every month and on time, based on the court order. If these payments are delinquent, the paying parent may be penalized. Some of the possible penalties include:

  • Court action that could lead to jail time
  • Seizure of a bank account
  • Negative reporting to the credit reporting agencies
  • Personal and real property liens
  • Motor vehicle liens
  • State and federal tax refund intercepts

For more information regarding child support payments, or to simply obtain answers to your questions, contact an experienced Phoenix family law attorney at the law firm of Curry, Pearson & Wooten, PLC by calling 602-258-1000 or toll free at 1-888-9AZLAWCOM (888-929-5292).  We will review your situation and explain your legal options.

Be sure to order a free copy of our book, Arizona Family Law: Handling Tough Issues in Tough Times. This book is a great resource for anyone facing divorce, child custody, child support or other family law issues.