Are you a grandparent and wondering what your rights are in the event that your grandchild or grandchildren's parents divorce? The facts might shock you.

Who is classified as a non-parent?
Non-parents who can request custody of a child following an Arizona divorce include:

  • Grandparents
  • Stepparents
  • Relatives
  • Non-relatives

Does Arizona allow a non-parent, such as a grandparent, to request custody?
In short, the answer is yes. As a grandparent, you can request custody of your grandchild(ren) if you believe that it would be detrimental to them to remain with the legal parents.

What a grandparent must do
Since the legal parents have the fundamental right to custody of their child(ren), as a grandparent, you will be required to prove that awarding custody to the legal parents would not be in the best interest of the kid(s).

You can also request visitation rights
Again, you would be required to prove that visitation rights are in the best interest of your grandchild(ren).

This is a difficult burden to carry and a tough experience. An Arizona family law attorney can assist you. Contact us today to order our free book, Arizona Family Law - How to Handle Tough Issues in Tough Times.

If you are facing a divorce, especially with children involved, contact one of our experienced Arizona family law attorneys at the law firm of Curry, Pearson & Wooten, PLC by calling 602-258-1000 or toll free at 1-888-9AZLAWCOM (888-929-5292).

Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment