Benefits of establishing paternityFirst, it’s important to point out some of the benefits of establishing paternity, which include:
- Providing legal, emotional, social and economic ties between the father and the child
- Providing certain legal rights to the child, such as rights to inheritance, medical insurance benefits, life insurance benefits and Social Security benefits
- Providing the child an opportunity to develop a relationship with the father
When paternity is contestedThe father may contest paternity. The court can therefore establish paternity, if:
- Both parties agree to a paternity test
- The evidence is presented in court
- The genetic test reflects a 95 percent likelihood of paternity
Will the state of Arizona pay for the test in advance?The short answer is yes. However, if the man turns out to be the biological father, he will be required to reimburse the state.
For more information about family law issues, you can order a free copy of our book, Arizona Family Law – How to Handle Tough Issues in Tough Times.
If you are trying to determine paternity of your child, you should contact one of our experienced Arizona family law attorneys at the law firm of Curry, Pearson & Wooten, PLC by calling 602-258-1000 or toll free at 1-888-9AZLAWCOM (888-929-5292).