False Promises and Emotional Manipulation
Making the decision to seek adoption is an emotional one for families. Fraudsters are aware of this, and thus look to take advantage of people who are emotionally invested and impatient to find their new family member as soon as possible. This is how adoption agencies get you:
- Promise to find a baby and guarantee placement within a short amount of time;
- Avoid meeting in person;
- Do not offer proof of pregnancy or medical information;
- Claim not to have ever had a negative report or refuse to offer references;
- Claim to successfully place each and every time;
- Charge large fees upfront for the adoption and related services;
- Give you the run around when you ask for documentation;
- Do not return your phone calls;
- Relocate the birth mother;
- Avoid questions about the birth father.
Not Just Adoption Agencies
Unfortunately, fraud is not just an issue with agencies, either. Dealing with the expectant birth parents may leave you vulnerable to adoptions scams, as well. Be on the lookout for a birth mother who:
- Seems to be in a constant state of crisis and high drama;
- Constantly requests money and offers excuses;
- Refuses to sign a medical release;
- Will not talk about the birth father;
- Refuses to talk to your Arizona adoption lawyer or agency;
- Changes the due date or sends medical information, such as ultrasound pictures, without identifying information;
- Avoids face-to-face meetings and refuses to give out contact information;
- Refuses to tell family, friends, and doctors about the adoption.
If you are seeking to adopt in Arizona, it can be dangerous to go it alone. Contact a compassionate Phoenix family law attorney today for a free, no-obligation consultation by calling 1-888-929-5292. We are devoted to our clients' needs and explaining all available options as clearly and honestly as possible. If you have more questions about what a Maricopa County adoption lawyer can do for you, request our free book, Arizona Family Law - How to Handle Tough Issues in Tough Times.