Phoenix Criminal Defense Lawyers on Internet Stalking in Arizona
There’s a fine line between an inconvenient or unwanted conversation and internet stalking. Internet stalking charges in Arizona may be the result of communication or harassment through:
- E-mail correspondence
- Facebook or other social media
- IRC, messengers, and other live chat
- Virus or spam attacks
- Blogs and blog comments
- Internet forums
If you have been accused of internet stalking in Phoenix, it is crucial that you speak with a Phoenix criminal defense attorney as soon as possible after your arrest.
Why should I contact a Phoenix criminal defense lawyer after an internet stalking arrest?
As commonplace as electronic communication seems to us now, many police and enforcement agencies are still “catching up” when it comes to the proper investigation of internet stalking. Therefore, the levels of investigation of a Phoenix electronic crime can vary from police officer to police officer.
What are the cyberstalking laws in Arizona?
Although there is not a specific law governing cyberstalking in Arizona, internet stalking generally falls under harassment laws. “Harassment” is defined as “conduct directed at a specific person which would cause a reasonable person to be seriously alarmed, annoyed or harassed and the conduct in fact seriously alarms, annoys or harasses the person.” You commit harassment by intentionally doing the following:
- Anonymously or otherwise communicating or causing a communication with another person by verbal, electronic, mechanical, telegraphic, telephonic, or written means in a manner that harasses.
- Continuing to follow another person in or about a public place for no legitimate purpose after being asked to desist.
- Repeatedly committing an act or acts that harass another person.
- Keeping another person under surveillance or causing another person to surveil a person for no legitimate purpose.
- Making a false report to a law enforcement, credit, or social service agency on more than one occasion.
- Interfering with the delivery of any public or regulated utility to a person.
What can I do if I’ve been accused of internet stalking in Phoenix?
The laws surrounding internet stalking can be complicated, so you will need a strong case. Don’t wait until it’s too late. Contact a friendly and professional Phoenix criminal defense lawyer today at 1-888-929-5292. We can talk about your specific rights and options in a free consultation, and you’re under no obligation to hire us. We also want to offer you a copy of our FREE book, Arizona Criminal Law – What You Must Know.