Preparing to Separate Assets When You’re Getting Divorced in Arizona
If you are getting divorced in Arizona, you are probably at least a little concerned about separating assets with your spouse. As you and your spouse may have accumulated many assets over the course of your marriage, including everything from retirement accounts to lawn furniture, this can seem like a daunting task. You can combat that anxiety by getting prepared and organized.
One of the best ways to get started is to review and gather together important documents such as:
- Financial statements and documents from investment accounts
- Recent pay stubs for both you and your spouse
- Tax returns from the past 5 years
- Insurance policies, including car insurance, health insurance, life insurance, etc.
- Retirement plans and employee benefits
- Mortgage information or leases for rentals
- Any documentation regarding previous property settlements, inheritances, or gifts
In addition, begin preparing a list of tangible property that you would like to receive in the division of property.
Compiling and reviewing all of these documents gives you a better idea of the assets you are working with and will help you, your spouse, and your lawyers when it comes time to start dividing property.
If you need help dividing property in a divorce, speak with an experienced family law attorney with Curry, Pearson & Wooten today at 1-888-929-5292. We would be happy to meet with you in a completely free, no-pressure consultation to address your divorce concerns.
We would also like to offer you a completely FREE copy of our informative book Arizona Family Law – How to Handle Tough Issues in Tough Times, which you can request by giving us a call or using the online contact form on this page.