Tempe Criminal Lawyer Answers “Should I Post Bail in Arizona?”
It’s the dreaded call you get in the middle of the night: “I got arrested in Tempe. Can you bail me out of jail?” Whether it’s a friend or a family member, you feel like it’s your duty to post bail for someone you care about. You want the person to get out of jail, go home, and be able to show up for work the next day. However, you might find yourself wondering if it’s always a good idea to post bail right away. As Tempe criminal defense lawyers, we’ve seen some problems with bail over time and want you to consider a few things.
If any of the following situations apply, you may want to wait to post bail in Arizona:
- The person is dangerous. If you believe the person might continue to be a danger, whether to themselves or others, it might be best to allow the police to hold them until they “cool off.”
- The person is in danger. Likewise, if you believe the person may be in danger after committing a crime in Tempe, jail may be the safest place for him or her.
- You don’t have the money. If you don’t have the money, or if you can’t wait at least several months before the person paying you back, think twice before you post bail in Arizona. The more serious the crime, the higher the bail will be, and you need to be prepared to never see that money again.
- The person was arrested for a minor crime. If the crime was very minor, the person could be released from jail as soon as the next day. It might be wise to wait and see what happens before putting your cash on the line.
- It’s happened before. If these kinds of calls are common, you might consider letting the accused fend for themselves this time. You may have a son or a sister who constantly seems to be in trouble with the Law in Tempe. Sometimes, a person has to learn their lesson.
- You think they may not show up for court. If the person does not show up for court, you could be left on the hook to pay the full amount. Additionally, you may have to help track the person down and/or pay the costs of the search.
If you or a loved one has been arrested in Tempe, pulled over for a DUI in Phoenix, or is in any other legal trouble, contact a respected Tempe criminal lawyer at 1-888-929-5292 today for a completely-free legal consultation. We will be happy to explain your rights and help you form an action plan after an arrest in Arizona.
For additional information, please request a FREE copy of our book, Arizona Criminal Law – What You Must Know.